Thursday, September 25, 2008

as if i had the time...

today is a good day. today is the inauguration of ANNAS FALL SEMESTER PRIDE AND PREJUDICE FEST 2008! i had this idea this morning. it will mostly consist of me sitting in a dark room watching five versions of P & P. and possibly eating contraband tamales from the Smiths parking lot tamale lady (dont worry tamale lady i wont turn you in for selling tamales in the parking lot).

we were assigned the book for a class, and even though id read it before, i took it on again for refresher. it is HILARIOUS!! so much funnier than i remembered! so now i want to see what different directors have done with it. in my head its hard to beat the colin firth version, the keira knightley version was crap as far as the story goes. beautiful film, horrible adaptation.

six versions:
Lawrence Olivier (1940)
BBC version (1980)
Colin Firth (1995)
Keira Knightley (2005) (interesting that the modern version is known by its Elizabeth rather than its Darcy actor)
Mormon version (2003)
Bridget Jones' Diary (2001)

not in chronological order so much as oldest fashioned to newest fashioned.

anyways....what fun!

edit: Bride and Prejudice definitely gets in there! No life without wife!

4 comments:

Vivian said...

there's one more! called Bride and Prejudice and it's a Baliwood musical movie. I just watched it last week.

Vee said...

SHUT UP!
I did this same exact thing only out of pure boredom... Thats nice to hear that I'm doing sorta collegiate things in my free time.
I like the BBC version the best.
But for a while I was on a big colin firth kick. I think I might have blogged little reviews on them all...? dunno for sure
I was gonna try to do that with Emma but I couldn't get through the one with Gwyneth Paltro and I reallly like her..

See what netflix can do to you!

Vee said...

oh yah! I LOOOOOOOOOOOVEEEEEEEEEEED BRIDE AND PREJUDICE!

jeannesioux said...

Why are the tamale lady's tamales contraband?

We used to buy tamales all the time from a lady down in Gilbert, Arizona. They were really good.